Table of Contents
Foreword by Jean Illsley Clarke
1. When Kids Quarrel
Is Sibling Rivalry Harmful?
Why Kids Quarrel
Suitability of Various Approaches
Six Ideas to Reduce Quarrelling
2. How to Facilitate Problem Solving
Steps in Problem Solving
Guidelines for Facilitating Problem Solving
Assessing Skills Needed for Problem Solving
Introduce the Problem Solving Procedure
Provide Opportunity for Practice
First Time Assistance
3. Setting the Stage for Problem Solving with Preschoolers
Building Problem Solving Skills with Toddlers
Problem Solving with Three to Five Year Olds
4. Problem Solving with School Aged Children
The SIGEP Approach
One: Stop and Keep Calm
Two: Identify the Problem
Three: Generate Ideas
Five: The Plan
Example of SIGEP in Action
5. How to Use Negotiation for Child-Parent Conflicts
“A Better Way”
“SIGEP” for Adults and Children
6. Encouraging Problem Solving
Establishing Appropriate Consequences
Motivating Unwilling Children
7. Where Do We Go From Here?
Learning Takes Time
Who Is Responsible for Happiness?
What If My Child Still Has a Problem?
Where Do You Go From Here?
A: Assessment Games for Children
B: Activities to Enhance Problem Solving Skills
C: Additional Dialogs