List of Charts and Diagrams
Introduction: Getting the Most Out of Is This a Phase?
Part One: Phase by Phase: What’s Happening Now?
1. All Ages:The Work of Being a Parent
2. Birth to 3 Months: Amazing Surprise Package
3. 2 to 9 Months: Falling in Love
4. Crawling to 18 Months: Off to See the World
5. 18 Months to 3 Years: Living in the Here and Now
6. 3 Years: Mostly Sunny Skies with Some Showers
7. 4 Years: The Next Declaration of Independence
8. 5 Years: Kindergarten, Ready or Not?
Part Two: Topics Over Time: An Alphabetical Reference for Dealing with Child Development in Daily Life
Activities and Toys
Art and Artists
Attention Span: How It Grows
Bilingual Babes and Beyond
Child Care and Preschool
Communication with Signs and Sounds
Death: Helping Children Cope
Discipline: What Works Now?
Diversity: Understanding Differences
Eating: Month after Month
Health and Development
Help—Is My Child Okay?
Humor: What Makes Children Laugh?
Independence and Responsibility
Money: “Mommy, Can I Have . . . ?”
Muscles in Motion
Music for Minors
Numbers and Sense of Time
Praise: The Art of Support
Reading and Writing
Screen Time: Television, Videos, and Computer
Self-Soothing and Security Objects
Sex and Gender
Sleep: Theirs and Ours
Stress: Signs and Soothing
Toilet Learning: Is It Time Yet?
Selected Books for Parents and Children from Parenting Press
Web Sites for More Information